Antique Door Turned…

Chalkboard and coat-rack!

You may remember a few weeks ago I was stumped as to what to do with an antique door I had found in our yard.  It was one of the original doors to our house and had been exposed to the elements so long the center panel had rotted out.  Here is the before picture:

Thanks to everyone who posted such great suggestions on what to do with it!  I went with the chalkboard idea mostly because I decided to sell it at the flea market and I wanted to keep it simple.  Thanks to Camille at The Vintique Object for guidance on what materials to use for it (hard board).

I cleaned the whole thing up really well and then warmed up the wood with some wax.  Also. I was able to find these antique brass hooks and attached them to the sides to add interest and more function.

I think would be so cute in somebody’s entryway with a little bench at the bottom and some baskets for shoes, etc.

The bag hanging on the hook was another find–a vintage woven market bag.  That will be going to the flea market as well.

Sorry for being off the blogging radar this week.  John was out of town, Becky has had a really bad stomach bug, and something beyond my technical skills was going on with the formatting on the blog.  Thankfully my IT guy returned and I think we are getting back to normal. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Entryway Update

I just can’t seem to leave our foyer alone!  I am always tweaking it–actually, I think I am always tweaking every room.  But here are some little updates that I have been doing:


First, I changed out the rug.  The old one had bothered me since I painted the walls last year.  It went from Ralph Lauren Barn Owl White to BM Winter White. I also painted the door black from white at the same time and added the ceiling medallion and the vintage lantern.  This rug works so much better with the paint color and  floors too.

Here’s the old one:

And new one:

The new rug is actually a very old one.  It had been in John’s family for a while and although the top side is a bit worn and not as pretty, I used the old textile trick of showing the reverse and it looks so nice with the orange in the floors.

Also, Camille from The Vintique Object had a post recently about an entryway redo where she hung DIY chalkboards for the kids.  It’s a great way to leave them little reminders before they head out the door.  I used that idea for the window and hooks I was already using for the kids.  I just painted the window panes with chalkboard paint:


(I was not trying to be artsy with these pictures–it is just an impossible angle to photograph with the stairs).  The chalkboard paint definitely takes this project up a notch.  The baskets below the hooks have been a great way to catch all the little things that go in and out.

A side note:  I recommend either removing the glass entirely from the window and replacing it with particle board or at least taping the back of it with duct tape if you are at all worried about overly-enthusiastic coat hanging and chalkboard writing.  I think I will replace it in this project before the kids are actually big enough to reach it and start to write on it themselves.


And an update on my client’s bachelor pad:  We painted last week and it looks fantastic.  Still waiting on the sofa and several other pieces to arrive but I hope to be able to post final pics in mid May.


One more thing:  I am going to London (!) next week–by myself–to visit my cousin and her family and would love any recommendations of must see shops/restaurants.  Can’t believe I am actually taking this trip…


Thanks for stopping by!

DIY Entryway Organization

As my kids are getting bigger (oldest in first grade this year) I am starting to realize how much better we all need to be about organization.  With homework, after school activities, and play dates ever-increasing, I knew I needed to start to find a system to corral all their stuff.

I also knew I wanted whatever we had to be somewhat cute.  It’s one of the first things people will see as they walk in the front door.  Jackets, books, shin guards, hats, etc. all needed a place to go. 

First I bought these large baskets from Cost Plus about a year ago.  I sewed some cloth letters of each child’s initial and attached them to the baskets with twine.  The baskets are pretty deep so so far, not too much of the clutter has been visible.  This could possibly change as they get busier and the stuff grows…

Next, I got an old window at our local salvage yard and screwed these hooks to the bottom (one queen and two kings!).  I found these hooks at a little shop in Tallahassee, FL called Miss Mandy’s but here are some similar ones on Amazon.

Forgive the weird angles–it’s a narrow space for picture taking.  Thanks for stopping by!